Capacity development is the process by which individuals and organizations obtain, improve and retain relevant skills and knowledge needed to get their jobs competently accomplished.
It is a new year and I am sure, if you are like me, you will not want to remain at the glory of the ‘former’. You want to grow, you want to be better; knowing that if you do not sizzle, you will fizzle in the face of your career, family, relationships with God and men, etc.
Here are some ways you can develop your personal capacity:
1. Develop a growth mindset. A psychologist noted that people tend to embrace either of two mindsets; a fixed mindset or a growth mindset. A fixed mindset creates limitations and blockades which restricts expansion and says “I can’t”. A growth mindset drops the restrictions and adds the word “yet” – “I can’t yet…” The growth mindset believes development is possible whatever our age.
2. Set a goal that is specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound. Ask yourself, “What do I want to achieve this year?” No matter how small your goal is, act upon it and achieve it. When you are done, celebrate your success. Remember, “Without a goal you can’t score.”
3. Make Mistakes. Forgive yourself, accept whatever mistake you have made and move on – tomorrow is a new day; keep working on becoming a better you.
4. Hold yourself accountable if you must grow. Only you can prevent yourself from from failing or succeeding.
5. Persevere. Believe in yourself so much that others will have no choice but to believe in you too. If you don’t believe in yourself, who will?
6. Meet positive people (DMITES); people with lessons to teach and stories to tell. It is said that “you are the average of your three best friends.”
8. Ask questions (ask for road maps). You cannot be lost in the multitude of counsels. Get coaches and mentors, attend seminars, conferences and workshops.
9. Avoid comparing yourself to what you see on social media; most of them are not true.
10. Keep moving. Make sure you are moving; no matter how slow, just keep going. Don’t stop moving. If you can’t soar, fly . If you can’t fly, , run . If you can’t run, , walk . If you can’t walk , crawl, whatever happens do not stop moving. The moment you stop, you fail.
11. Remember your reputation doesn’t define you! Your character does. Build character capacity in 2018 and beyond.
This year I plan on developing my writing capacity; what’s your capacity building plan?
From The Heritage Crew unit desk